Re: [guppi-list] Guppi as a mime-type handler

Jon Trowbridge wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 06:43:46PM +0000, Magnus Hagdorn wrote:

> > the only thing that kept me away from it is that i have no clue
> > about gui programming.
>
> Just to write a guppi import filter shouldn't require any GUI
> programming.

=> The dialog for import is generic?

> > wondering whether import filters should be written using bonobo so they
> > can be reused in other programs like gnumeric, scigraphica, whatever
> > else.
>
> At this moment in history, the best way to make something like an
> import filter reusable is to write it in nice, clean, portable C code.
> (Hopefully some good free NetCDF code already exists, that could
> serve as a starting point.)

See:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/index.html

Also on my debian pkg-listing I have a netcdf lib and docs; presumably
the same applies for rpm-based systems.

Having looked at the docs, tt really doesn't look that difficult...
[/famous last words]

The docs even give example scenarios for use of the library.

An 'import everything' filter should be relatively easy, looking at the
specs. An 'import selected fields' option would require a GUI add-on,
the ease of which prob depends upon whether the import dialog can easily
be cannibalised :)

HTH,

--
Neil