Re: Window controls for GNOME 3

I am going to go off on a tangent here and say that decisions like
removing the maximize/minimize buttons take little time to execute,
but go a long way in tarring the image of the product (Gnome shell).

I think the real question is not if removing those buttons is a good
or bad decision, but what would have happened if Gnome devs had let it
be? Users would simply have one less thing to talk/complain about, and
this would be a great thing because it would move focus towards all
the awesome features of the shell. I don't remember seeing heated
discussions about the minimize button before.

I don't know what started the rash that caused the itch to remove
those buttons, but its causing everyone to talk negatively about the
shell, while otherwise no one would have even cared if they remained
there. Am I wrong? Are there people truly bothered by seeing the
minimize button in the title bar?

Maybe a gentler approach to removing tremendously familiar features is better...

-- Akshay
http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~akshay/