Re: Window controls for GNOME 3

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 16:44 +0530, Vishnoo wrote:

> IMO, the maximize/resize 'feature' is a workaround for a window
> management that never got fully implemented.
>
> It would be very interesting to know why user is forced to resize the
> windows manually and try to fix those problems.
>
> In an ideal world there should be no need for maximize/restore.
> App should be able to know the size that displayed-content requires to
> display, notifies the window manager and the window resizes accordingly.

Oh god, no.

How does a text editor 'know' how big a window 'needs' to be to display
a 500 page document (or a 10,000 line source code file)? It can't fit on
one screen. I like to have it in a full-screen window at 1680x1050. I
know people who think I'm insane and think you should never display text
more than 80 characters wide as it's 'unreadable'. Am I right? Are they
right? Which of us would you like this new intelligent window manager to
piss off?

That's just the first case that springs to mind. Terminals, as Thomas
points out, are another good one. Browsers; again, it comes down to text
flow. I like a full-screen browser window, lots of people think this
makes lines of text way too wide. Neither of us is correct or incorrect.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey