Re: Window controls for GNOME 3

(What happened to your mail client line-wrapping settings?)

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> The maximize button
> ===================
>
> The above was about minimization - but the request was also to remove the maximize button. This is a little different since there are more obvious ways to maximize a window - the drag to the top gesture or double-clicking on the title bar - we're not really talking about removing the feature of maximization but just the button.

I generally applaud the bold changes happening in the shell, but I
disagree with removing the maximize/restore button.  I'll paste here a
comment I wrote on Allan's blog:

1) Drag-and-drop is very difficult on touchpads, and most people these
days are buying laptops. Drag-and-drop is also undiscoverable.
2) Double-clicking the title-bar is undiscoverable.

Conclusion: maximize/restore button should remain.

Too me, it's a simple as that.  I don't think the "cleanliness" of
removing the button is worth the UX trade-off.  Getting rid of the
minimize button is great, though!

Thanks,
Sandy