Re: The next Gnome Office release.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:18:55AM +0000, Charles Goodwin wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 14:12 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> > Making a release is a significant amount of work. I think the whole
> > processes consumes at least 10-20 hours of development time. Building
> > binaries, updating websites, writing release notes, spamming the
> > internet is all work which I no longer find particularly fun.
>
> This whole process really should be automated.

 In an ideal world maybe.  In reality ... I doubt it.

 Even if we ignore the stock auto* fighting the generated tarballs
 need to be test built, trees tagged, and packages uploaded.  This
 is time consuming and is not well automated to date.

> Release notes could be construed as changelogs which should come from
> commit logs.  Building binaries should be a one-press task to build for
> all platforms.

Release notes are still fairly manual.  We need to summarize the key
elements.

While I agree that it would be nice to automate more of the process
things currently aren't even localized (abi in one place gnumeric in
another).  Getting a person or team together to handle the grunt
work manually for now seems like the best approach toward getting
the automation built.