Re: The next Gnome Office release.

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 01:14:46PM +1000, msevior physics unimelb edu au wrote:

> What is the status of Gnumeric, GNOME-DB and other potential components?
> Is there an ETA for the those projects?

There is a moderate amount of work going on in gnumeric,
unfortunately it is generally infrastructural in preparation for
libgoffice, bug fixing, and extending the charting engine.  Our top
line feature targets are still a long way off.

> Also I beleive the next Gnumeric release will feature a Win32 port. Does
> it make sense to package up a Gnome-Office for Windows (at least
> AbiWord-2.2 plus Gnumeric-x) binary? If people are happy here are happy
> with this idea I'll cajole the AbiWord windows packager(s) to work on
> this.

After some reflection it seems reasonable to do a scaled down
gnumeric-1.4 that would highlight the win32 port rather than jumping
straight to gnumeric-2.0 and pivot tables.  That would even be
doable in time for guadec.  That would tie in nicely with the ppt
support.

> What number should call this release? My personal vote is to call it
> Gnome-Office-1.2.

Works for me.

I would want gnumeric-1.4 split libgoffice out, but would continue
to package it as part of gnumeric.  Then do the split immediately
after release (to give the distros time to get it packaged).  Then
focus on getting it in use in the core of abiword for abi-2.4 and do
a GOffice-2.0 when that stabilizes.

Issues
------
1) Gnumeric-1.4 will require gtk-2.4.  What is the status of the abi
   development there ?

2) This timing is not ideal in relation to GNOME.  It puts our 1.2
   release half way between gnome-2.6 and 2.8.  Which would mean
   that we either rush to get GO-2.0 out with gnome-2.8 or we stay
   out of sync.