Re: The next Gnome Office release.

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 10:29, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> Issues
> ------
> 1) Gnumeric-1.4 will require gtk-2.4.  What is the status of the abi
>    development there ?

AbiWord 2.2 WILL NOT require 2.4 (though it will support it).
2.4 WILL require 2.4 (as well as gsf and such).

> 2) This timing is not ideal in relation to GNOME.  It puts our 1.2
>    release half way between gnome-2.6 and 2.8.  Which would mean
>    that we either rush to get GO-2.0 out with gnome-2.8 or we stay
>    out of sync.

Stay out of sync.  Only once there is much more tangible integration
within GO should anyone care about release association with GNOME, and
even then only as long as it would have no effect on and not be affected
by the code progression within our individual projects.  This is the
same reason I think it is unnecessary to have minor releases be synced
for a low profile GO-1.2.  If 1.2 is a stable abi 2.2.1 and a a stable
gnumeric 1.4.2 so be it.  And if it happens that we are synced wrt the
minor increment and the releases are gold to GO, great.
I see it entirely feasible that gnumeric reaches 1.4 quality in may
(this is Jody's decision on what those reqs are) and it takes abi past
mid june to get to 2.2 quality (our serious issues to active devhours
ratio is much higher, that's just the way it is).  So no reason to rush
things out or hold them back in any project.  I dont know exactly what
Rodrigo needs wrt time but if he needs it, this way he has it.  If
gnomedb is primed by june and mergeant still needs a lot of work, he'll
have that flexibility (dunno, just hypothesizing as an example).

-MG