problems getting into Gnome

Hello,

Last night something strange happened and I'm not sure how to fix it.

I accidentally double clicked on the xclient icon and another identical
gnome desktop appeared over mine with windows, panel and all.  I thought it
odd and closed the windows, logged out (of both!) and restarted.  Now, when
I log into linuxppc2000 under my user name, it gets as far as "mouse
properties capplet" and then all I get is my background image (which is
black so it might not even be my background image).  The mouse moves but is
an X rather than a pointer and no desktop icons or panel appears.  To get
out I have to SHIFT-APPLE-F1 and then log out at bash.

If I login as root, everything is just fine.  I created another temporary
user and that is just fine too, so it is only my user account that is a
problem.  Any ideas how I might fix this.  The last thing I want to do is
delete my user account and start from scratch.

Very much appreciated

Joss Winn
iMac/LinuxPPC200/Gnome/Sawfish