Re: problems getting into Gnome

If you can still login as root, do that, then move your .gnome directory (the
one in your home directory - not root's! ) to something like .gnome_old.  Then
log back in as yourself and let Gnome recreate that directory.

If you have spent a lot of time customizing your dekstop, you can now slowly
start merging the files from .gnome_old back into the new .gnome directory to
get your desktop looking like it was.  Just do it one at a time because
somewhere in there is the file that is giving you problems.  Or if you haven't
changed your desktop too much from when you created the account, you can just
take the fresh Gnome slate and add your applets back where they were and delete
the .gnome_old directory altogether.