Re: What windows manager to use ?

Use WindowMaker. It is absolutely the most stable, best WM there is.
Sawfish/Gnome does not allow you to put different pictures on the
background of different workspaces.  WindowMaker does.  WindowMaker also
has a nice feel and support for Dockapps.
http://www.windowmaker.org

I don't have anything bad to say about Enlightenment, except that it
requires too much resources for my P166 and so I don't use it on any
systems any more. The strain of deciphering/compiling E and WIndowMaker
both got to be too much, so I had to go with WindowMaker. Also I find E
difficult to configure.  But if you have a powerful machine, E has some
special features no other window manager has, like the "tiny picture
pagers" that show little snapshots of your workspaces. THat feature is
an eye-popper and visitors to your office will be knocked out by it.

Sometimes I run my system without Gnome, and in those situations, I'm
much happier with a more full-featured window manager than Sawfish. (I
don't like Lisp so much, too, and if you don't want to have to write
some lisp, I think you might not want to start up with Sawfish.  There
are some configuration things you just can't get done unless you are
willing to dig in.)

--
Paul E. Johnson        			email: pauljohn@ukans.edu
Dept. of Political Science     		http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn