gmc strangeness in helix-gnome 1.2

We are deploying helix-gnome on Debian potato in a fairly large student
lab facility.  gmc is giving some of our students problems.  The main path
(call it /home/students) that a majority of our users home directories
live in contains over 3500 directories.  For some reason, gmc decides it
needs to recursively scan every file in /home/students.  This process
leaves gmc frozen for about fifteen minutes.  Is there a way to turn off
this feature globally, or to limit gmc to only accessing a user's home
directory?  Also, is actually scanning each file in the directories, and
not just the current level directories, not a feature but instead a bug?
If this is a bug, who should I report this to?

Arnold Hayden
ahayden@ece.utexas.edu

"One world, one web, one program" - Microsoft Promo ad