Re: Translating Gnome with launchpad.net

>> If you translate in Launchpad, only Ubuntu will automatically benefit.
>
> Depends on what one calls "automatically".  If you translate in
> POEdit/Gtranslator/Kbabel nobody will automatically benefit (not even
> your own computer where you did the translation).

Yes but when you have translated a file with one of your editors at
least you have to _think_ about where it is best to send that file
afterwards.

> Launchpad is a
> better PO translation tool than those in that it allows better
> collaboration, and at least something (Ubuntu) is going to use your
> translation right away.

and then you don't give it a second thought and no one else than
Ubuntu will benefit. Second "better collaboration" is a matter of
interpretation, we still have no way of giving people comments on
their translations when we approve/correct them. I know that it is
possibly in the works, but that does not change the current state of
the tool.

> Launchpad has never let anyone translate GNOME projects in Launchpad
> unless they understand these terms.

Are they informed about it before they start using their spare time
making translation suggestions, which is all so easy? Because upstream
we have an almost zero track record of wasted work.

> Actually, using Launchpad as a tool (even working on Ubuntu), and then
> submitting upstream might give one the best of both worlds.  I.e. one
> can think of Launchpad as a replacement for KBabel/Gtranslator/Emacs
> po-mode, which means that you still have to commit to GNOME SVN once
> you are done.  Launchpad is a great tool which allows much better
> workflow than any other tool out there

again except for no possibility of communication in the review process

Regards Kenneth