Re: Translations for LSR project

On 02/06/2006, at 10:12 PM, Peter Parente wrote:

Not a problem. I did not know about intltool-update. I will take
advantage of that from now on.

We do not have a general copyright assignment procedure in the GTP, so
AFAIUI technically the translations belong to the translator who
contributed it, if nothing else is stated, and under what license
terms I do not know. But IANAL of course.

If you want to play safe, you can request that all contributed
translations properly say
"This file is distributed under the same license as the LSR package."
in their header, and ask for the translations to be removed if not.

OK. I will check on what my employer requires for the translation
licenses. If they do wish that notice to be included at the top of all
translation files, to where should I post that request? To this
mailing list? To some file in CVS that translators read?

AFAIK, all you need to do is make sure your POT file contains that line:

# This file is distributed under the same license as the LSR package

in the header. I've worked on files which already contain such a line, so evidently they can be generated. (See the gettext manual? Or perhaps there is an intltool option.)

I have a <sigh> licensing question. How does such a statement affect those of us who have already assigned our translation copyright to the FSF (for example, translators who contribute to The Translation Project)?