Re: Release coordination - a clarification

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 01:49:14PM -0400 or thereabouts, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On 23 Jun 2001 18:10:07 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >  no one ever votes "no" for any feature, ever. It just doesn't happen.
> Well.... maybe pie menus.

Pie menus? Are you kidding? I vote aye!

> don't live in a true democracy: if everyone voted on everything all the
> time, (a) nothing would ever get done and/or (b) people would be too
> wrapped up in voting to do anything else.

I believe Switzerland manages it. Genuinely. They seem to have a
referendum every two weeks :)

> An RFP procedure adds some overhead, yeah, but oh well. This sort of
> process is necessary in any large project, free or commercial.

Seriously, I agree with this bit. I think the process is needed. I
think we probably don't all need to vote on everything. I'm sure
you don't want my opinions on gnome-libs; and no offence, but I am
not sure I'd want everyone here voting on DocBook tags :)

I think someone had a good point about timing, though. Things
shouldn't drag on massively, but there are plenty of people who
would not get to read mail in time. I recall on the foundation list
there was a show of hands about switching from the slates idea.
And that was run over two days. And I was away for 48 hours, and
guess which hours those were?

Telsa