Re: [Gimp-developer] Updating the website for all the broken download links?

Von: "Sam Gleske" <sam mxracer gmail com>

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Jehan Pagès <jehan marmottard gmail com>wrote:

Hey all,

I've checked the testing website with my commit to fix the download
links to the new URLs. All looked ok, so I cherry-picked to master.
Would be great to have this rolled out to production, because right
now our website just gives a bunch of dead links for getting GIMP.
That's not good and could drive users away to go pick GIMP up from
some possibly bad source.

We used the http:// links as the main targets, and thos will still work. And I think that we will have to use
the links to the torrents as the defaults, as those will finally use all the available mirrors.

Also are all our mirror admins aware we changed the source of our main
download? Because if they have scripts to sync with our FTP, then they
will never relay properly our new releases.

If we only knew who all those admins are :)
There is no address list, but one can probably be created by digging through the gimp-web bugs in Bugzilla
and extracting the addresses for ftp mirrors bugs.

As I mentioned in the past the offer is still open for me to QA the GIMP
website frontend for dead links and generate a report.  I didn't ever get
approval from any of the core devs so I didn't run any front end tests.

Xenu's Link sleuth (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) didn't have any noticeable effect on the
server (even the aging old one), so I don't see anything that would prevent you from running your link
checker.

Please give it a go and we'll have a look at the results.

--
Regards,
Michael