Re: GNOME dependent on Mono

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 11:48 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> That is a decision left entirely up to those who create such Free Software.
>     I don't believe that we can tell them what to do or how to do it. We can ask
>     politely.
>
> We are talking at cross purposes.  The issue I raised is not whether a
> person _can_ write a program in C#; Microsoft might try to stop him,
> but we will not.  The question is whether these programs are treated
> as part of GNOME, and to what extent other parts of GNOME use them,
> and what other GNOME developers are asked to do in regard to them.
>
> The GNOME Foundation ought to have something to say about that.

And it does through the Release Team.  I have personally witnessed and
participated in numerous consensus meetings on the Release Team where
pros and cons are heavily weighed.  Mono has been a hot button for
awhile there.  It was only two releases or so ago that Tomboy was
allowed in and that was after hard thought about the mono dependency.
Vincent Untz already posted the policy that came out of that discussion
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2007-November/msg00332.html)

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>