GNOME dependent on Mono

I read http://boycottnovell.com/2007/11/05/gnome-mono-yelp/ with
great concern.

Since I am not an expert, I cannot tell on my own if that description
of the situation is accurate.  If part of it is not accurate, I hope
someone will explain.  However, if it is accurate, GNOME has a serious
problem.

I have always supported the development of free platforms for C#, just
as I've supported the development of free platforms for any language
that users use.  I also wouldn't argue that people should not use C#
with a free platform for secondary applications.

However, making GNOME depend on Mono is running a grave risk, and a
grave mistake.  If the article accurately describes the situation, I
think we need to launch a high-priority project to reimplement Yelp in
some other language.

The use of code from Firefox in a way that might cause trademark
problems is also a serious issue.  The solution might not be difficult
-- it may be enough to remove the trademark in the sources used by
GNOME wherever that is necessary -- but the solution does need to be
carried out.

The nontechnical impact of these issues vastly exceeds the technical
impact, so considering them only in technical terms is fundamentally
misguided.  In this sort of decision, the Foundation should intervene
and decide based on the nontechnical issues at stake.  If those who
work for Novell tell us not to worry, we should not listen to them.