Re: two questions for candidates

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 02:49:34AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Richard Stallman">
>
> > 1. Would you change anything in the GNOME Foundation statement about
> > OOXML?
>
> I'd probably include a message about not fighting OOXML on political grounds
> because they have no impact on the ISO standardisation process. To succeed,
> we need to fight OOXML under the terms defined by ISO, which means nuking it
> as hard was we possibly can on technical grounds.

Microsoft isn't defending OOXML under the terms defined by ISO. They
have successfully raised Somebody Else's Problem fields around all
issues through means of the Technical Commission Control Force Field.

It's impervious to how many megatons you can place on technical grounds
if they bought more votes (either through reward or threat of punishment
-- and on Portuguese TC-173 I *strongly* suspect one company was subject
to threat of punishment: death like Netscape died).

>   Software Freedom is not just for geeks!

Right on, but you could make sure not only geeks noticed the many poison
pills of OOXML. This discussion is an evident proof one of the poison
pills is getting at people.

Best,
Rui

--
Umlaut Zebra �lles!
Today is Boomtime, the 40th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?