Re: Questions to the candidates

Hi,

Le jeudi 22 novembre 2007, à 23:52 +0100, Anne Østergaard a écrit :
> Questions to the candidates:
>
> Will you apply for the position as new Executive Director for GNOME?

No.

> Will you apply for any paid position within GNOME while serving as board
> member?

I'd say it's highly unlikely, although it's hard to be sure. I won't
apply for a job if I helped creating the job description, that's sure.
(And of course, I wouldn't participate in the decision process). But
again, it's really unlikely that this will happen.

> Will you attend at least 90% of the board calls?

I'll try, but it's impossible to say yes. The goal is to attend 100% of
the calls, but sometimes, life outside GNOME makes it impossible to
attend a call.

> Can you accept competing official ISO standards?

I'm not quite sure why ISO matters here. It certainly happens to have
two "competing" standards, even if the two weren't standardized by the
same body. Take RSS and Atom, eg.: the first format has become a de
facto widely adopted standard, and the second, standardized by the IETF,
is also widely used. Sure, it's a pain to have to support both, but it
happens. (I know, RSS is not a single format, and there are at least 3
variants of it, but you get my point ;-))

So, yes, I can accept. But it's more convenient to have only one.

> What is your position towards official standards that do not meet the
> gennerally accepted definition of a free and open standard. Such as
> Microsoft OOXML?

I'm not sure what "free standard" means (is this related to patents? Is
this free as in libre or free as in gratuit?). Also, I'm assuming you
want to talk more specifically about file formats and not all types of
standards. I'm all for open formats, and, to be honest, the fact that a
format is standardized is not that important to me.

That being said, and obviously, I'd very much prefer to have something
not being standardized if it's not open.

(don't know if this answers your questions, if not feel free to ask for
clarifications)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.