Re: A question to candidates

<quote who="Dave Neary">

> What do you see as the best way to spend this money?

Getting GNOME contributors together, face-to-face, to nut out the difficult
problems that are tough to solve in a distributed fashion.

> In terms of hiring, do you prefer hiring a sysadmin, or an executive
> director?

We must have a full time staff member to manage any further hires, as there
is no way our part time administrator should have to deal with any duties
related to management. So, of the two, I'd prefer a full time, management
capable hire before a sysadmin hire. Alternatively, we can contract for the
sysadmin position. (I would not describe my priority for the first full time
hire as an "executive director", either -- GNOME is not an art gallery.)

> A second question to all candidates: what do you see as the weak points of
> the current board, and how do you propose addressing those weak points?

The biggest weak point is that we were unable to function as a coherent team
for much of the past two, perhaps three, years. The major reason for this is
not going to be a problem next year (and is thus not worth discussing), the
secondary issue will be solved for the 2009-2010 Board (GUADEC at the start
of the year), and I intend to focus on team-building and goal-setting for
the first six months of the year, to get everyone focused and *ROCKING* for
the rest of the 18 month term.

- Jeff

--
GNOME.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia http://live.gnome.org/Melbourne2008

    100% Pure Slashdot Wisdom: "Source code gives a whole new meaning to
                              free software."