Re: GNOME Foundation Elections 2007. Let's start the debate!

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 08:30 -0300, Bruno Boaventura wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007 8:22 AM, Dave Neary <bolsh gnome org> wrote:
> > > Don't the members get the opportunity to propose questions this year, as
> > > in past years? Usually there is a gnomedesktop story & comments.
>
> I've been posted to gnomedesktop too, but it's not appearing yet... is
> there some type of moderation?
>
> > I ask only because if members do have questions, it becomes extremely
> > time-consuming for candidates to answer 10 or 15 different emails, and
> > difficult for members to follow. The idea of a call for questions was to
> > reduce the amount of mail people have to reply to & read.
>
> I think the members can propose questions and send them to the
> Membership Committee select the best questions. Can the others members
> of MC say something about this?
That's possible, however it doesn't look like necessary. Membership can
direct their questions if they really look for answer, that's why it's a
debate at all. Candidates are free to ignore questions, though they
should consider that would affect membership votes.

Current set of questions cover general BoD responsibilities and they are
mostly aggregated questions over years with some popular topics. Voting
will begin in a week so getting questions through gnomedesktop.org or
membership-committee gnome org mailing list can be time consuming. I
think this should be noted for next elections and preparing question set
should be started earlier than this year so that necessary channels of
communication could be used.

Either way, we're in a period of knowing prospective board members more,
and it's best to use this time with more productive manner. That means
polemics and things that do not relate with Foundation or Board of
Directors should be avoided during the debate. If you have some
questions you can just wait some days, and/or elaborate on topics in the
middle of this week.