Re: [Evolution] Setting the "from address" in evolution?

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 13:30, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
However, whilst it might be possible to enter any From: address in mail
sent from MTAs that I install and maintain, it isn't possible at all to
send any mail without authenticating with a user name and a password.
This user name is then used in the envelope sender dialog with the MTA
(EHLO/MAIL FROM:/RCPT TO:/DATA). If the authenticated user then tries to
use  any other MAIL FROM:, the server won't let him. I'll always know
which of my users sent which mail to whom from my servers - this is a
recent Postfix smtp AUTH jail. Simply because I won't tolerate forgers
or spammers on my patches.

Firstly, I'm not talking about MTA issues, I'm simply talking about
making it *easier* for users of Evolution as a mail client to be able to
implement such an anti-spam technique. It's a matter of making it
easier, it is *not* a new phenomenon, nor is it a very complicated
request.

Sure, I wish this kind of thing wasn't needed, just as I wish the sun
would come out everyday (alas, I live in England...) - but we live in a
world full of spam.

I'm talking about + extensions, which shouldn't be blocked by your
system, they're simply an extension of a normal email address, which
most MTA's can deal with. It's not as though we're inserting useless
email addresses here there and everywhere.

Yes, it can be abused, yes people can put whatever they want, but they
can do that anyway, and how many spammers are going to take the trouble
of using MUA's such as Evolution to fling their spam around the world at
unsuspecting innocents? Answer: not many. They'd much rather use malware
and zombies to propagate their filth.

Oh dear, I rambled again. Forgive me.

-j

--
-jamie <jamie silverdream org> | spamtrap: spam silverdream org
 w: http://www.silverdream.org | p: sms silverdream org