Re: [Evolution] sendmail -> procmail -> evolution, all on local host

There's at least one guy at Ximian who uses procmail to filter into a
maildir tree, and then uses evolution to read it at the same time.  It
works reasonably well.  I'm sorry I dont know how to setup procmail to
operate this way.

The original poster could try using the 'spool directory' option for a
mail source, this will let you point directly to the pine mailbox tree,
and should interoperate with it, assuming pine and procmail lock the
mailboxes in the same manner (elm for example, does zero locking on its
own folders).  I think that code made it into 1.0.x anyway, it might be
1.1.x only.

However, spools used in this way are slower than evolution using its own
mailboxes, or using maildir, but it should be an easy way to test the
idea and might be fast enough.  Summaries are not cached (so they must
be rebuilt every restart), and indexing isn't performed, for example.