Re: once more with feeling.. ( new autodia )

On 2 Jan 2003, Lars Clausen wrote:

Date: 02 Jan 2003 13:38:35 -0600
From: Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: Re: once more with feeling.. ( new autodia )

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Aaron Trevena wrote:

hi guys,

I just released a new release of autodia - version 1.3, now with added
workingness for PHP and C++.

In case you didn't know what it does - a quick summary :
Parses C++, PHP, Perl and JAVA source files and generates stuff
outputs dia xml (UML class diagrams)
UML class diagrams in gif format (generated with graphviz)
outputs HTML through Template Toolkit for handy instant API references or
documentation.

That's good to hear!  It's a very useful tool -- I'll have to try it on
some of my larger projects now.

I've been thinking about an import filter for dot files -- it would allow
some final adjustments of dot-generated graphs.  THere is an option in dot
to have it output its own format, but with layout coordinates as
annotations.  Being able to read those would be nice.

Ideally i would like to see this wrapped in a plugin that allows clueless
newbies (take me for example) from within Dia to select source files, hit
'ok' have autodia execute and process the files and have a New Diagram
appear.

But I am not volunteering to do it which is why i said "ideally", if there
was a bugzilla entry for autodia i would file an RFE.
I suppose i should make an effort at least to put together some sort of an
exec() type plugin or something.

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

PS The Eclipse IDE from IBM has something called EMF (Eclipse Modellng
Framework not Microsofts Enhanced MetaFile) which is somewhat based on XMI
and sounds pretty cool but then i think Eclipse is going to be (if not
already) HUGE.
More things for me to think about...