Re: Planning for GNOME 3.0

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> On 04/20/2009 12:37 PM, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
>>   Not the same. Fitts' law. Having Tomboy applet in border of screen
>> makes it crazy big target to hit with mouse, which is good. Notification
>> icon is many times harder to hit. The same story is now with Volume
>> Applet.
> +100000 to the concept.  I lost my infinitely large volume control applet
> with the recent rewriting....  These days it takes me some five seconds to
> find it.  To anyone who thinks I'm exaggerating, put the same set of icons
> on your screen for years and stare at the display 12 hours a day and they
> fade into the backgrounds.  Takes lots of brain power to see them again...
>
> Whereas my hand knew how to find the volume applet by just throwing the
> mouse outward to reach the top-right corner and clicking.

Also I'd argue that notification area should sort the notifications by
app name or some similar parameter that does not vary between two
logons.

Currently these are in a completely random order (due to multitasking
and ordering notifications by start time). It wouldn't be a problem if
they behaved the way I believe notification area was originally
designed to work (no permanent icons, dismissable notifications) but
now I get between 4 and 7 fixed icons there so finding for example
volume control takes some time.

--
Patryk Zawadzki