Re: Planning for GNOME 3.0

Emmanuele Bassi schrieb:
> no need to Cc me in: I'm subscribe to d-d-l.
>
> On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 16:02 +0200, Sebastian Pölsterl wrote:
>
>>> what do applets provide, nowadays, and are they even remotely useful?
>>> what can deskbar-applet provide that cannot be implemented with
>>> something that does not sit inside a 24x24 icon on the most valued piece
>>> of screen real estate? isn't a gnome-do approach equivalent to the
>>> deskbar-applet? why tomboy-applet is so special? it's basically a
>>> launcher with a custom context menu. also, starting up deskbar-applet
>>> *and* tomboy as applets on my panel causes my desktop more to start up
>>> on login; not great turn ons, especially when there are developers out
>>> there trying to get the boot-to-UI process down in the seconds range.
>>>

>> I agree that the current applet paradigm is outdated and it doesn't do
>> well when you have a lot of applets or an applet that takes some time to
>> load. But those are the problems we want to solve, right? I'm not saying
>> that we should keep the whole applets system, but I want something
>> similar to it.
>
> why? why should something continuously live on my panel and occupy
> space?

Because you want to know which applets are currently running. In
addition, applets like system monitor need to show up somewhere,
otherwise they are useless.

>>  I don't care if it's called applet or widget or whatever,
>> if it's in the panel or somewhere else. For me the idea of applets is
>> that you can access information/functionality with minimum effort. Let's
>> say deskbar-applet would be an application started from the menu. That
>> would make deskbar-applet useless, because it should help you starting
>> applications and doing tasks with less effort. Now if I have to start
>> deskbar-applet first, I can just open the application I want to in the
>> first place.
>
> then we don't need an icon, but we need something completely different;
> something that pops up (say) when you press F12; or something that comes
> up when I start typing on an empty workspace.
>
> I just don't see the need to have something constantly visible on a
> panel or on my screen, when it's all about user-initiated actions. the
> tomboy-applet doesn't need to stay in my notification area (why on earth
> does it stay in my notification area is another matter entirely, but
> let's overlook that for a second) when I don't need to write a note? why
> does it have to start when my desktop starts, when it can start when I
> do need to write a note and be unloaded afterwards?

Keep in mind that not all applets require user interaction, some just
show information and you don't have to interact with them at all (e.g.
system monitor or weather applet).

- --
Greetings,
Sebastian Pölsterl