Re: Planning for GNOME 3.0

On 04/20/2009 12:37 PM, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:24:38PM -0400, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
On 04/19/2009 05:38 PM, Shaun McCance wrote:
The Tomboy applet is an extremely convenient way to access
your notes.  You think of it as wasting valuable screen
real estate.  But to a heavy note-taking person, it's just
really convenient.

Except that Tomboy using a status icon in the notification area has the
exact same feature set. Just that the notification area does not offer so
much possibilities in term of positioning.

   Not the same. Fitts' law. Having Tomboy applet in border of screen
makes it crazy big target to hit with mouse, which is good. Notification
icon is many times harder to hit. The same story is now with Volume
Applet.

+100000 to the concept. I lost my infinitely large volume control applet with the recent rewriting.... These days it takes me some five seconds to find it. To anyone who thinks I'm exaggerating, put the same set of icons on your screen for years and stare at the display 12 hours a day and they fade into the backgrounds. Takes lots of brain power to see them again...

Whereas my hand knew how to find the volume applet by just throwing the mouse outward to reach the top-right corner and clicking.

behdad