Re: [Banshee-List] Multiple Installs Of 1.5.5

I'm not exactly sure why you have two installations of Banshee, but I know that Karmic called the Banshee package 'banshee' instead of 'banshee-1' for some reason.  Not sure if it's also installed in a different directory than it would be if you install from a PPA or build from source, though.   If so, that could lead to two installations of Banshee.  Try running:

banshee --version

and

banshee-1 --version

to see if you have both installed.  If you have the 'banshee' package installed, that's probably the one that is running when you double-click Banshee launchers, even though it isn't being updated.  If that's the case, you have a few options:

1. Uninstalling the 'banshee' package (sudo apt-get remove banshee) should leave banshee-1 intact, assuming banshee-1 is the package you want.  This might automatically update all of your launchers, and it might fix the whole problem.

2. You could also manually change your launchers to open the right Banshee.  If the copy of Banshee that you want is in /usr/lib/banshee-1/, then the command for opening Banshee should probably be 'mono /usr/lib/banshee-1/Banshee.exe --redirect-log --play-enqueued'.  Or, if the launchers are currently set to run 'banshee --redirect-log --play-enqueued', you could just change 'banshee' to 'banshee-1' in the command.

3.  If you don't want to mess around with uninstalling things or manually changing launchers, you could automate your current copy/paste method by creating a symbolic link between the two Banshee directories.  If the installation in /usr/lib is updating, and the one in /usr/local/lib isn't, delete the banshee folder in /usr/local/lib:

sudo rm -rf /usr/local/lib/banshee-1

and create a symbolic link in its place, that points at the Banshee directory that updates:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/banshee-1 /usr/local/lib/banshee-1

That's it!  Just make sure you rm -rf the directory that isn't updating, and when you ln -s, first list the directory that you're linking to (the working one), then the directory you're creating (which should match the one you just deleted).

Hopefully one of these methods will work for you.  If not, be sure to report back here, and we'll get something working for you.

Michael