[Banshee-List] iPod issues in latest version (new users)

Howdy. I'm switching to Ubuntu after being a hardcore windows and major fan
of iTunes for the last six years of my life. I'm really happy with Banshee
and proud to report that iTunes importing works great! Aside from the lack
of playlist folder support, I am totally happy with Banshee and I think it's
awesome. However, I've now spent a whole day trying to get my 80gb Classic
(1st gen) iPod to work and it won't. I wrote a buzz detailing my headache
here
http://www.google.com/buzz/amiantos/d5VLZHFoWeM/Yesterday-was-Day-1-of-my-Ubuntu-switch-and-it
but for ease of reading sake, here's a copypasta...

---

My main problem comes with me trying to transition from iTunes to something
else for iPod/music management. I stumbled upon Banshee,
http://banshee-project.org/, which has a really nice interface, full iPod
support, and even imports your iTunes database so you don't lose all your
ratings and playcounts, which was the most attractive feature for me. The
iTunes import went without a hitch, however Banshee doesn't support Playlist
Folders, so all my folders went bye bye and I ended up with a huge mess of
playlists all bunched together that I just went through and deleted, very
slowly, by right clicking and hitting Delete, because apparently selecting
one and hitting the DEL key isn't good enough :(

But then I connected my iPod and everything went south. At first it started
saying it had to delete stuff from my iPod, which was OK, but then Banshee
would crash. It wouldn't get through this process, it would just crash over
and over. So I thought, OK, I'll clear out my iPod and just let Banshee put
everything back on it. An hour later the 50 gig transfer process was done
and... then Banshee crashed. So I disconnected my iPod and looked at it. "No
Music" it said. Well, shit.

So I tried it again. 50 gig transfer later, Banshee freezes up, won't do
anything. I kill it, load my iPod up, "No Music." OK, annoying. I clear the
iPod again, load up gtkpod, it tells me it can initialize the iPod, so I let
it, I add a couple songs to it using gtkpod just to make sure my iPod isn't
busted, and it works even when I disconnect the iPod. Huzzah! So I connect
it up to Banshee again and let it sync my 50 gigs again while I sleep and
when I wake up... Banshee is blanked out and frozen again. I kill it,
disconnect my iPod, and sure enough, the only things that are on it are the
couple of songs I transfered with gtkpod.

So I plug it back in and load up gtkpod and look at it, delete those few
tracks, and then I look in the file browser and I see that my iPod is full
of music! So I tell gtkpod to "Rescan files" and now that I'm at work, my
iPod is sitting at home rediscovering all the music that is on it and
hopefully building a database. Ideally, and I know now not to expect this,
gtkpod will build a proper database, and then I'll be able to connect it to
Banshee and have Banshee tell it what all the ratings and playcounts and
playlists should be... but I fully expect Banshee to just fuck everything up
again.

---

That's where I am at right now. I'm stuck at work so I can't do any testing,
but the basic problem I seem to be having, if I were to guess, is that
Banshee seems to be crashing during the database generation phase of the
iPod sync.

Please get back to me with what commands and such I can run to help with any
testing processes. I am a complete Linux noob, but I understand the basics
and am more than willing to test things and jump through loops. Banshee
looks like my best bet for media player joy, so I'm willing to work at this
sort of thing. I'll report back with what happens when I get home and gtkpod
is done running it's magic.

I am running whatever the latest Banshee is (1.6 RC2?). I set up the PPA or
whatever it is so that it can grab the latest version.