[Banshee-List] Multiple Installs Of 1.5.5

There are two installations of version 1.5.5 (daily) on my Ubuntu Karmic
machine. One is at /usr/lib/banshee-1, and the other is at
/usr/local/lib/banshee-1. Whenever updates are installed, the copy at
/usr/local/lib automatically gets updated, yet no matter how I run the
application, the copy at /usr/local/lib is the one that starts up. I am
forced to let the updates install each day, then manually copy the files to
/usr/local/lib/. What would be the best strategy for dealing with this, so
that I end up with only one working copy that gets updated automatically,
retains my settings, and runs from a simple command?