Re: [Banshee-List] Bug 527788 "Could not fetch metadata for CD"

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 11:07 PM, JameeM <simulated gmail com> wrote:
>Also, looking up the CD could show the CD, but what needs to happen is that
>the CD ID needs to be associated with the release for it to match
>successfully without intervention. It would help everyone if you could
>associate your CDs with MusicBrainz releases using Sound Juicer (there are
>other programs too, but I don't know them offhand).

I'd be happy to try, but I'm not sure quite what you're asking. banshee was
able to
request the correct CD from musicbrainz. I looked at the request and the
reply. It looks like banshee simply failed to parse the answer.

Please file a bug with as many details as possible.

That said, I have very little clue how banshee finds the cd in the first
place.
I assume some sort of hash is generated from data on the CD, and this is
a key into musicbrainz datatbase?

Yes, precisely.

Sounds like you're saying it's possible for
multiple versions of a particular CD to generate the same hash, but for some
reason banshee fails to realize that the returned info applies to this cd?

Not very likely (if at all possible when you consider disc time, number of tracks, etc.). What I was suggesting is what Darin noticed (in his latest message): that a lot of the unrecognized CDs don't have an ID in MusicBrainz's database. The release can be detailed, but if there's no ID, MusicBrainz won't return it to Banshee at all.