Re: Wiki integration and comments

Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> writes:

> I totally disagree. I thought the way we combine both messaging system
> with a chat was the very thing that made yarrr unique, instead of just
> xchat + a wiki. The messages are used for long term discussions, and the
> chat for the people around at one specific time during the discussion.
>
> Furthermore, pushing the comment to the wiki looses a lot of the aspects
> of the yarrr messages that are interesting. i.e. No chat log, no way to
> ack that you wrote a message, no stability in messages (anyone can
> change a message someone else wrote).

I agree.  This is one of the things I really want to keep around.  I'm
excited about the 'conclusion/chat log' combination, and its one of the
features of yarrr that I think is quite useful, and am planning on
using[1].

> > 2 seem a pretty useful feature, there is no other way to edit the wiki
> > content collaboratively (in real time).
>
> I think this is only marginally useful, compared to solving the "best
> features of both chat and email" problem.

This feature feels more useful to me than that.  It's a nice way to
generate text for a document.  You go from chat->live comment->rough
comments->final wiki.

Our overall approach here should be to keep modifying features that are
useful, and ditching ones that aren't.  I'd like to try it on the live
server next week.  If it's not useful, we'll find out soon enough.

> > - Have closed comments behave like in the standalone case (so not pushed
> > inside the wiki text but appended as part of the yarrr discussion).
> >
> > - Allow to push comments in the wiki after they are closed _or_ add a
> > "New paragraph" button which will behave like "New comment" but push
> > them in wiki text instead of making them closed comments.
>
> Or add a [push to wiki] button next to the [close] button.

We could also add a [push to wiki] button on closed comments.  It
shouldn't be too hard to extend it.

Thanks,
-Jonathan

[1] I've spent a lot of time looking through my xchatlogs for the
results of discussions from years ago.