Re: Wiki integration and comments

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 17:16 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> everyone seem to be very confused about the role of yarrr comments when
> embedded in the wiki, let alone the details of the implementation. Some
> possibilities:
>
> 1 Forum like comments (ignoring the collaborative aspects).
> 2 A way to work on paragraph of text collaboratively and push them
> inside the wiki text.
>
> While 1 seem the most natural application and the most similar to the
> standalone case, I'm not sure it will end up to be very useful. Wiki
> text is supposed to be well edited so that it's easily readable and
> provide information more quickly than a forum or mailing list. I'm not
> sure we should encourage people to post comments, what will be the value
> of those when the discussion is over? Will they will be useful or just
> distract readers? For this case pushing comments in the wiki text seem
> useless to me.

I totally disagree. I thought the way we combine both messaging system
with a chat was the very thing that made yarrr unique, instead of just
xchat + a wiki. The messages are used for long term discussions, and the
chat for the people around at one specific time during the discussion.

Furthermore, pushing the comment to the wiki looses a lot of the aspects
of the yarrr messages that are interesting. i.e. No chat log, no way to
ack that you wrote a message, no stability in messages (anyone can
change a message someone else wrote).

> 2 seem a pretty useful feature, there is no other way to edit the wiki
> content collaboratively (in real time).

I think this is only marginally useful, compared to solving the "best
features of both chat and email" problem.

> - Have closed comments behave like in the standalone case (so not pushed
> inside the wiki text but appended as part of the yarrr discussion).
>
> - Allow to push comments in the wiki after they are closed _or_ add a
> "New paragraph" button which will behave like "New comment" but push
> them in wiki text instead of making them closed comments.

Or add a [push to wiki] button next to the [close] button.

> - Add a "wiki content is changed, reload" button when a client notify
> yarrr that it changed the content.
>
> What do you think? These are not difficult to implement on the top of
> what we have already, though we should try to get at least a rough idea
> of the behavior we want ASAP :)

I'm not sure which way is best, but i think dropping the current comment
system is a really bad idea.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a superhumanly strong zombie photographer haunted by an iconic dead
American confidante She's a violent punk magician's assistant who dreams of
becoming Elvis. They fight crime!