Re: [xslt] filenames containing spaces in xslt param

<xsl:variable name="path" select="'file%20with%20space%20in%20name.xml'" />
<xsl:copy-of select="document($path)"/>

Works... however, I thought string literals could contain spaces...
why do spaces have to be escaped this way? I'm curious to know.