[xslt] bug in installation of libxslt 1.1.23 ?

My apologies if this problem has already been discussed here, and my
meager attempts at finding it failed. If so, please just point me in
the right direction, and I'll give myself the dope-slap for you.

We obtained the source tarball for libxslt 1.1.23 from xmlsoft.org,
unpacked it, and tried to install it.
  ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --with-libxml-prefix=/opt/local
  make

However, when the build process gets to the point of running the
Makefile in the doc/ directory, we get as far as "Validating the HTML
Web pages" and then dozens of error messages about a failure to load
the DTD (XHTML 1.1 transitional) via HTTP.

Just to be sure, I tried to load the exact same URL via wget, and
that worked fine. (So our net connection is OK.)

Looking in the doc/Makefile, I find that on lines 496 and 511
`xmllint` is called with the --nonet switch. If we remove that
switch, the build works better, although there were still some
errors. Some of them look like they might be resolved if we remove
the --nonet switch on calls to xsltproc, but some of them look
worse than that:
| make[2]: Entering directory `/opt/local/src/libxslt-1.1.23/doc'
| Rebuilding the HTML Web pages from xslt.html
| Validating the HTML Web pages
| xsltproc.html:1: validity error : Validation failed: no DTD found !
|      ^
| xsltproc.html:1: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: meta line 1 and head
|                                                                                ^
| xsltproc.html:101: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: meta line 1 and html
|                                                                                ^
| xsltproc.html:102: parser error : Premature end of data in tag head line 1
|
| ^
| xsltproc.html:102: parser error : Premature end of data in tag html line 1
|
| ^
| make[2]: [xsltproc.html] Error 1 (ignored)
| I/O error : Attempt to load network entity http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
| news.html:2: warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";
|  1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";
|                                                                                ^
| I/O error : Attempt to load network entity http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
| news.html:2: warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";
|  1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";
|                                                                                ^
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/local/src/libxslt-1.1.23/doc'

I'm wondering if we're doing something wrong during the installation
(like not getting a needed catalog set up properly or some such).

Also, there was a gcc compilation error for the Python support, so
we disabled python support in the configure command
(--with-python=no). For the moment this isn't a problem, but I've
always wanted to learn Python ...

Please note that while I'm more than happy to tweak things and test
stuff to try to get to the bottom of this, I will be away for the
next week (and then buried in e-mail on my return :-) so responses
may be a bit delayed.