Re: [xslt] libxslt / libxml2 - which one to use

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 04:32:07PM +0530, Senthil Nathan wrote:

>    Hi,
>
>    I'm new  to  use  XML/  XSLT.  I  need general clarifications of using
>    libxslt for my application.

  please learn first about XSLT, it's a public specification and there are
many books, tutorials available.
Have you read the first paragraphs of
    http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/bugs.html
please do, and learn, there are many pointers.

>    1.  Here,  Is  it  possible  to build a DOM tree using libxml2. (basic
>    question. but still)

  Of course it is, please read the docs online at xmlsoft.org it's in a
large part documented.

>    2.  And is it possible to have "description", "datatype", "operations"
>    as attributes
>
>        in the DOM tree, instead of as sub nodes of "hostName".

  I guess that question shows you're really a complete beginner in XML and
XSLT, this list is about the support for the library, not for support about
the basic which are not dependant on the library but on the specifications
it implements. There are millions of people using XSLT, we just can't help
everyone of them with their design questions.

>    3.  Is  there anyway to overlay XML file on an existing xml tree. ie.,
>    merge / append different xml files.
>
>    4. I  have  a  template  XML  file and a config XML file. Template xml
>    contains  only  the  xml structure. Config XML will also be similar to
>    that structure with the values for those elements/tags.
>
>        Using libxml / libxslt, can I build the DOM tree from the Template
>    xml  file  and fill in the values for every element/tags and put it in
>    the Config xml file??

   That should be possible. But I doubt people here will have the time to
do the job of learning about what you need to do, why and how. We may help
with specific technical question, but asking on the list will never replace
getting your job done, i.e. reading, learning and basically doing the
programming.

>    Please  post your comments on this. Would be helpful for me to proceed
>    further.

   Please learn to learn, there is no way we can do this for you.