[xslt] Using external resources

Hi,

I'm using LibXSLT for a web project via perl CPAN packages. At various points I need to access external resources, eg databases, or do the sort of calculations at which XSLT doesn't excel, eg crypting passwords. I'm currently using the document() function to call local CGI scripts, which works, but I was wondering what other options exist, specifically any supported document() protocols other than http and any ways to link to external scripts or libraries without recompiling LibXSLT. The answer appears to be implementation-dependent in the XSLT 1.0 spec, and I haven't found any LibXSLT documentation that addresses this sort of issue. All information appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Howe