[xslt] xinclude within XSL

Hello,

I'm trying to do something that doesn't work, and I guess that xsltproc does the right thing, but I'm interesting in having some explanations why it cannot work.

What I am trying to do is to build an RTF that contains an <xi:include> and then process the RTF. Of course I use the --xinclude option, but it doesn't seem to be inherited to the RTF.

What I do:

  <xsl:variable name="external">
    <xsl:element name="xi:include"
                 namespace="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";>
      <xsl:attribute name="href" select="{$filename}"/>
      <xsl:attribute name="parse">text</xsl:attribute>
    </xsl:element>
  </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:apply-templates select="exsl:node-set($external)/*"/>

What's wrong?

Regards,
BG