[xslt] libxslt problems on Linux

I am trying to learn how to use libxslt.  I took the example that John Flick wrote (http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/tutorial/libxslttutorial.html) and got it running on Windows.  Now I am trying it on Linux (Red Hat LE 3) and the gnu compiler is most unhappy.  I have tried to hack a make file and to have eclipse do a managed build. I get no end of complaints from the system include files.

Does anyone have any hints on how to build on Linux?

Thanks.

Bart
barthome1 comcast net