Re: [xslt] Extensions in Python?

  Hello Norm,

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 07:28:22 -0400
Norman Walsh <ndw nwalsh com> wrote:

> Is my memory playing tricks on me, or do I remember that there was,
> once upon a time, a discussion of allowing XSLT extension functions
> and elements for xsltproc to be written in Python (or Perl or whatever)?

  A year ago Perl extension functions were limited to returning strings.
Python modules libxml2 and libxslt allows almost everything. Libxslt
distribution packages contain examples (extelem.py, extfunc.py,
pyxsltproc.py, ...).

> Writing them in C and then linking them into the xsltproc binary

  Newer versions of libxslt support plugins.

> seems
> an awfully tall hurdle and I'd really like to get a couple of the
> DocBook extensions implemented for xsltproc.

  I invite you to look at XSieve:

http://xsieve.sourceforge.net/
http://xmlhack.ru/protva/xquery/index.php/XsieveLanguage

  XSieve is an XML transformation language based on combination of XSLT
and Scheme. I've developed it to create a good CALS tables converter
(TODO), and I think it also could be used for implementing DocBook
extensions. For example, I was thinking about implementing
"programlistingco", but didn't find time.

Oleg Paraschenko  olpa@ http://xmlhack.ru/  XML news in Russian
http://uucode.com/blog/  Generative Programming, XML, TeX, Scheme