[xslt] re: XSLT 2.0

Daniel wrote:

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 01:26:37PM -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> I imagine this is a not-uncommon question, but looking through the
> archive, I don't see it recently.
>
> What are the plans for XSLT 2.0 support at this point?

  No. The amount of work needed is way over the benefits and the time
we can collectively spend to implement it so far. Plus it's not a REC,
and except a couple of projects people seems not thrilled at the idea
of implementing the beast.

> I'm working on a project using XSLT 2.0*, and while I don't much like
> the tie-in with XML Schema, there are other features that are really
> useful for what I'm doing (temporary trees, user-defined functions, the
> document stuff, and grouping being the most obvious). Would be nice at
> some point in the not-too-distant future to be able to run the
> stylesheets using libxslt.

  XSLT-1.0 + EXSLT sounds a lightweight version of what you want.

> Also, I did some mention of language-based sorting. What came of this?

Low priority. Might be fixed to some extend when I can spare time on it.
If there is no bugzilla RFE associated, it may take even longuer...

Well:

a) I'm not going to rewrite the stylesheets for XSLT 1.0 (it's been hard enough to do with XSLT 2.0), but if someone else wants to, that's fine. I suppose there's a workaround in the abstract, that is.

b) For a bibliography list -- which MUST correctly sort author names -- it's a major problem that libxslt doesn't correctly sort "O, Ó, P." I realize these issues can be complex, but Saxon handles them quite fine for my purpose. Even if I had my stuff rewritten in 1.0, I can't use a processor that doesn't correctly sort. So, Jirka added his RFE, and I second it ;-)

Bruce