[xslt] Testing if parameters exist

I imagine this idea might be a little bit heretical but I'm using xsltproc
and was wondering if is there a way to test if a stylesheet parameter or
variable is defined/exists without xsltproc erroring out trying to evaluate
it?

This may initially sound like a silly idea since all parameters would appear
to be always well defined at stylesheet 'write-time'. However, if parameters
are dynamically evaluated based on the input document (think
dyn:evaluate(concat('$', $varname)) ), then in this is not the case anymore.
Being able to evaluate the existence of parameters without causing an error
would be useful in this situation by providing a mechanism for backwards
compatibility of input documents with older stylesheets.

Thanks,

Yuval