[xslt] RE: [xml] periods legal in an NMTOKEN

You aren't kidding when you say verbose. I guess it normally is quite by
contrast :)

Turns out xsltproc is correct--I was feeding it some questionable xml in
the form: attr="foo " (where attr is an NMTOKEN). Not sure if it is
strictly a 'validity error'; nsgmls doesn't complain about it.

I promise that the message I mentioned isn't coming from an xsl:message
tho. Maybe some of the code is doing more than you think?

Total processing time (including a fo renderer and ghostscript) for one
of our larger docs:
xsltproc: 681 seconds
Saxon:    580 seconds

That surprises me--I'd expected xsltproc to be faster. Maybe I can do
some profiling to figure out where the expensive stuff is in any case.
Btw., these are docbook documents, preprocessed extensively, then run
through the docbook xsls (v. 1.50.0 + our customizations).

Other interesting differences:
* Saxon outputs things like — as unicode characters, while
xsltproc leaves them as numeric entity references: e.g. ­.
* Saxon sorts AaBbCc, xsltproc sorts ABC.. abc...

There are other differences--I can tell because of pagination
differences, but I haven't figured out where they are yet. In the fo I
can see that generated id values are different and the order of
attributes is different--other things are harder to make out in the sea
of tags and line break differences.

Thanks for your help,
David