Re: [xslt] RE: [xml] periods legal in an NMTOKEN

>>   Well, the problem is that xsltproc does *not* do validity
>> checks like the message you seems to report. It loads the DTD
>> in order to expands entities and defaulted attributes but does
>> not do checks or report them, so the message seems issued by
>> your stylesheets actually. Why, I have no idea ...

FWIW the reported message is coming from libxml2's valid.c, line 3118 (in
the routine xmlValidCtxtNormalizeAttributeValue).  According to my
understanding of the logic preceding the message (as well as comments at
the beginning of the routine), the "deep inner significance" is that an
attribute value contains
  1) a leading space
  2) more than one consecutive embedded spaces or
  3) one or more trailing spaces.

Not directly related to "periods", however....