[xslt] node-set problem

Man, this is really killing me...I have this function
and what it does is return a set of nodes that match
some complex search that I couldn't just construct
with a single xpath...anyway, I return the results and
then go to apply-templates, and I can't because I get

apply-templates: cannot find doc

and it is because the nodeset is wrapped in
<fake></fake> which is not really a tag I can use, it
just shows up that way when I do copy-of...tried this
in saxon and it is working as expected, the node-set
is seen just as if it were brought in from a
document() call and I can run for-each,
apply-templates or what have you on it...anyone else
see this problem??

Dan