Re: [xslt] introduction, xvl.

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 12:21:21PM +0100, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> > > i compared xvl to xslt, and found the principles of xslt
> > > to be... more programming-based, less xml-based, also
> > > that it requires two input files not one,
> >
> > If you want something programming based, "standardised", and using only
> > one input file, you might want to look into XSP (eXtensible Server Pages)
> > from the Apache Cocoon project, also implemented in AxKit (now on CVS
> > using a LibXML based parser).
>
>   This 'prospective' thread is interesting. I will throw 2 more ideas
> in the bag:
>    - how useful/hard would it be to implement an Apache transformation
>      module based directly on libxslt, I think I got this question a couple
>      of time during the last week

Depends how flexible you want it to be. For example, do you want it to
cache? How do you want to setup the mapping between XML files and
stylesheets? Do you want the caching to be aware of all dependencies, no
matter how deep?

Lots of questions to ask.

Fortunately AxKit answers most of them, and now a fair bit of the code is
implemented in C anyway, with Perl just used to increase flexibility (e.g.
it's a hell of a lot easier to cache things in a child-global hash with
perl). We're moving more code into C every day.

So, the question of "can we have a mod_xslt that's as flexible as Cocoon?"
is answered with "Yes, we have AxKit". *

>    - would an extra function
>      xmlNodePtr xsltGetNodeResult(xmlStylesheetPtr style, xmlDocPtr doc,
>                                   xmlNodePtr node);
>      be useful, basically it would not run a full XSLT transformation but
>      compute how the given node would be transformed (assuming it get
>      processed directly by an xsl:apply-template rule).

* Note that AxKit will likely always require a perl interpreter for things
like XSP, because doing dynamic compilation of XML generated C code is
going to be really hard. But hopefully, eventually, almost all of the
pipeline setup can be done in C.

--
<Matt/>

     \\//