Re: [xml] libxml2 2.9.10 and Hang after Testing parser : 61 of 70 functions

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 4:09 PM Jeffrey Walton <noloader gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 6:10 AM Nick Wellnhofer <wellnhofer aevum de> wrote:

libxml2's make check is hanging at:

     Testing nanoftp : 14 of 22 functions ...
     Testing nanohttp : 13 of 17 functions ...
     Testing parser : 61 of 70 functions ...
     <hang here>

Does anyone have an idea what may be going sideways?

That's the 'testapi' test which causes the same problem on Windows. The test
should complete eventually. It's just incredibly slow. One possible
explanation is that somewhere an array is reallocated every time an element is
appended. Some Linux allocators can handle repeated reallocations in linear
time, but in general, you have to expect quadratic behavior. I just haven't
found the time to investigate the issue.

Thanks Nick.

'ps -A' shows it is making progress. Maybe you can add some sort of
progress indicator to avoid this [useless] noise in the future :)

OK, it completed. All tests were successful.

I added a couple of calls to 'date' before and after 'make check'. On
the PowerMac:

    Start time: Mon Mar 22 15:47:43 EDT 2021
    Finish time: Mon Mar 22 16:13:58 EDT 2021

Jeff