Re: [xml] libxml2 2.9.10 and Hang after Testing parser : 61 of 70 functions

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 6:10 AM Nick Wellnhofer <wellnhofer aevum de> wrote:

On 22/03/2021 05:21, Jeffrey Walton via xml wrote:
I'm working on my old PowerMac G5, powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0. I'm
trying to build an updated OpenSSH. libxml2 2.9.10 is a distant
dependency.

First of all, it's great to hear that libxml2 compiled at all and that most of
the tests seem to pass.

Yeah, a well written library or program does not have troubles.
Libxml2 is one of those libraries.

In fact, I believe libxml2 has no troubles on Fedora 1 and Ubuntu 4. I
keep them in my test environment for regression testing a few
projects. I don't recall a problem with libxml2 on them.

libxml2's make check is hanging at:

     Testing nanoftp : 14 of 22 functions ...
     Testing nanohttp : 13 of 17 functions ...
     Testing parser : 61 of 70 functions ...
     <hang here>

Does anyone have an idea what may be going sideways?

That's the 'testapi' test which causes the same problem on Windows. The test
should complete eventually. It's just incredibly slow. One possible
explanation is that somewhere an array is reallocated every time an element is
appended. Some Linux allocators can handle repeated reallocations in linear
time, but in general, you have to expect quadratic behavior. I just haven't
found the time to investigate the issue.

Thanks Nick.

'ps -A' shows it is making progress. Maybe you can add some sort of
progress indicator to avoid this [useless] noise in the future :)

Jeff