Re: [xml] libxml2 self test failures on NetBSD

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 10:31 AM Nick Wellnhofer <wellnhofer aevum de> wrote:

On Mar 21, 2020, at 08:03 , Jeffrey Walton via xml <xml gnome org> wrote:

I'm building libxml2-2.9.10 from sources. I'm seeing some libxml2 self
test failures on NetBSD 8.1.

File ./test/ebcdic_566012.xml generated an error

This issue was originally fixed with this commit:

    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libxml2/-/commit/4b4135977e82b7c9d3bba87a24fb7b5609312e14

I don’t know why it doesn’t work on NetBSD. I assume your build is with iconv and without ICU. Does `iconv
-l |grep -i ebcdic` return any results?

OK, to answer your question, there are ebcdic codes:

    $ iconv -l |grep -i ebcdic
    ebcdic-at-de
    ebcdic-at-de-a
    ebcdic-be

    $ iconv -l |grep -i ebcdic |wc -l
          43

And configure did not mess with iconv or icu. Looking at ./configure
--help, that shows iconv=on and icu=off. libxml2 is using NetBSD's
iconv.

I have recipes to build both iconv and icu
(https://github.com/noloader/Build-Scripts). I'll test them to see
what kind of results I get. I try to use iconv judiciously because I
am not a fan of Gnulib the way it is currently designed and
implemented. I'm OK with GNU providing replacement functions, I just
don't like the way they do it with Gnulib.

Jeff