[xml] If libxml2 headers refer to libxml/*.h, why is it installed into libxml2/libxml?

I just built libxml2 and am compiling against it, but am getting this error:

    /Users/jcarpen/local/include/libxml2/libxml/tree.h:17:10: fatal error: 'libxml/xmlversion.h' file not found

It seems like the default install directory for libxml2 headers is not correct - it is broken at the preprocessor level.

Obviously, it would be ludicrous to ask me to add header search paths specifically for libxml2, since if I want to build against libraries in multiple prefixes (which I do), then the libxml2-specific include directory would have to be adjusted in parallel with the prefix that I'm using.

The version of libxml2 installed by my system package manager has the same property, so it seems like it's a long-standing bug.  Any way I can help?

-Jefferson Carpenter